Saturday, March 22, 2014

Just Like Daddy

...is the title of a library book* I read to our children the other day. 
It's about a little boy named Johnny who wants to be "just like daddy".
He watches what Daddy does and tries to do the same things. 
But Johnny isn't as big and strong and smart as his daddy. So not all the things he tries to do work out quite like they did for Daddy. 
It's a cute story.
After I finished reading, Dyllon pipes up, "I want to be just like MY daddy!". 
And Kaelin says, 
"Well, I want to be just like Mommy." 
And my heart thuds. 
Do I want my children to want to be like me? It's on the tip of my tongue to say something like, 
"You should want to be just like Jesus." 
And then it hits me like never before. I am Jesus to my children. 
Am I trying to be "just like Jesus"? 
"Pattern yourselves after me [follow my example], as I imitate and follow Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1


*book written by Helga Moser, published by CLP.

No comments:

Post a Comment